Dear SK Parents,
As you know, your son has been exposed to both Mandarin and Spanish while in EC. When your son begins first grade next year, he will begin a singular world language track in either Spanish or Mandarin.
Please complete the form on the SK class pages on the PDS website by Friday, May 24th to indicate your language choice.
Many of you already have in mind which language your son will continue. Others are uncertain about which you will choose. Please remember that whichever language you choose, both will benefit your child and enrich his educational experience. Our world language teachers suggest that you consider the following items when making your decision.
- How do you envision your child using the language? (Ex: travel, business, study abroad, etc.) This might draw you closer to either Mandarin or Spanish.
- Consider your family needs. Does your child have a relative who speaks either language? Do you travel as a family to an area where a particular language is spoken? Both of these situations give your child an opportunity to apply what he is learning outside of the classroom and can be a great motivational tool.
- The perceived difficulty of a language should not be a deciding factor. Talk with your son about which language he feels most comfortable and confident learning. Although you may consider one language more difficult than the other, young children don’t have the prior knowledge of grammar (simpler to adults in Mandarin) and alphabet systems (simpler to adults in Spanish) to create these self-imposed limitations.
- Remember you are choosing a language, not a teacher. Make sure your son understands that his current Spanish or Mandarin teacher will not be his teacher in the upper grades at PDS.
- Finally, once you have made this decision, your son will continue with that language through the sixth grade. Students will not be allowed to change language tracks once the initial decision has been made.
We are looking forward to welcoming each of your sons into the Elementary Division next year.
Elementary Division Head
It is "P" Week! Please make note of the items below:
Thursday will be Pajama Day. Your son can wear his appropriate pajamas to school. He must wear tennis shoes. We will be watching a Christmas movie and enjoying hot chocolate with our SK friends.
Friday: Please turn in all items for our blessing bags. If you cannot remember what item you were assigned, please contact your teacher. A note went home in your son's folder explaining the bags and it had an item highlighted for you to return to school.
Friday- Field Trip: We are excited about the field trip on Friday to see Junie B Jones. Your son needs to wear a red collared shirt and bring his booster seat to school. We will be leaving school at 9:50 and will return in time for lunch.
Busy "H" Week!
Tomorrow (Tuesday) is crazy hair day. We have read a book about all the crazy ways you can wear your hair. Bed hair, sticking up with gel, putting random things in it or any other wild idea you have. We ask that if you "color" your child's hair for the day, make sure it does not run or wipe off with touch.
We will also be having an "h" cookout with Mr. Hancock. We will be having hotdogs and chips with a Halloween cookie. We will be washing it down with a little Hi-C drink. We are excited about this fun event. If your son wants to bring his lunch, he is welcome to do so.
Thursday will be hat day. Baseball hats, silly hats or costume hats are welcome. We will sort them, and play a few graphing games with them. Please make sure your son's name is in his hat.
Friday is Cedar Hill Farms field trip. We will not have school. Your son and his father/ male friend will need to meet us at the farm no earlier than 9:00. Please wear your class t-shirt and meet your son's teacher at the gate to have your picture taken and get your admissions ticket.
Book fair is this week. If you have not turned in your book fair form, please turn in it asap. Your son's book fair time is listed below. If you can't make it, the school is having a book fair kick off tonight with several fun activities.
Butler/ Thomas: Tuesday at 2:10- 2:50
Kelley/Goddard: Tuesday at 1:40-2:10
Lindsey/Umberson: Wednesday at 1:40-2:10
We are so excited about our guys' trip to Cedar Hill Farm Friday, October 26!
We will meet at Cedar Hill Farm in Hernando, MS at 9:00 AM.
The boys will wear our PDS SK Class Shirts. THE BOYS WILL NOT COME TO PDS.
After the farm, each boy will have the chance to spend the afternoon with his dad or friend.
We will not be returning to PDS.
Cedar Hill Farm address: 8 Love Rd Hernando, MS 38682
Additional directions: http://gocedarhillfarm.com/ticket-booth
We look forward to a great trip!
If your son is in need of aftercare after this event, you will need to sign up with Lyssa at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 19th. After will begin at 11:30. You will be responsible for transportation back to the school and lunch for your son.